10.24.2010

Ngo Kanin for Best Supporting Actor, please!

I'm burning my eyeballs on a TVB binge. Currently watching 讀心神探 (Every Move You Make) only because it's slightly more interesting than most of the other offerings of late. I'm not particularly a Bowie fan, but he has a respectable record when it comes to appearing in shows that do not suck, quite an accomplishment these days.

What I really want to talk about, however, is the anniversary series. The sequel to last year's hit 巾幗梟雄 (Rosy Business) - 巾幗梟雄之義海豪情 (No Regrets) - started last Monday. In the buildup, I decided to watch the original since it was all over the place in early 2009. Meanwhile, I was still one hot mess back then and missed the whole affair. But I do remember that much of the city was arrested by this show. I was walking home when the last episode aired and saw quite a few folks gathered around a sushi restaurant's outdoor tv screen. Naturally, I played along like I knew what was going on and caught some of the show. In any case, I now have 25 glorious episodes waiting for me, and in about a week, I've gotten through 20. Not bad considering all the work I've been bringing home plus catching up on 讀心神探 and rushing through 3-4 BBC shows.


So far I've only seen 2 full episodes of 巾幗梟雄之義海豪情 but that was enough to convince me to blog about one 敖嘉年 (Ngo Kanin). And let's go ahead and establish that I've crushed on him since 隨時候命 (Always Ready) when he played Charmain's moody brother. 巾幗梟雄 propelled him to substantial fame in Hong Kong though, and he was rewarded Most Improved Actor for his role as a total bastard in that show. Kanin definitely made a bitch of a villain, but I absolutely love his overly polite, good boy characters; his Yau Bong in 胭脂水粉 (The Charm Beneath) was syrupy sweet. I'm happy to say that he returns to form in 巾幗梟雄之義海豪情. Kanin plays 唐吉 (Tong Kat), or 排骨仔 (Pai Gwut Zai/Spare Ribs Boy), a country bumpkin who loves his granny and goes to the big city to become a police officer. The kid is so, so innocent and thus gets picked on by everyone. The real treasure though is Kanin, who captures scrawny little Pai Gwut perfectly. And this post is mainly to say that he better win the Best Supporting Actor Award this year. He is a-mazing.