11.14.2010

Bruce Lee + Aarif Lee = 'Bruce Lee, My Brother'

I kind of shat my pants earlier because I finally made the connection between the new movie about Bruce Lee and one Aarif Lee - the latter plays the former. A few weeks ago I saw parts of Echoes of the Rainbow and while was not left overly impressed by Mr. Lee the Younger, I still thought he did Hong Kong proud. Anyway, according to the font of knowledge, Wikipedia, he graduated with a degree in physics. Um, beat that, anyone else in the HK entertainment industry.


So if you're in Hong Kong lately, you've seen a lot of adverts for a new movie simply titled 李小龍 or Bruce Lee, My Brother. FYI, this coming November 27 is the 70th anniversary of his birth and the city is flipping ecstatic. At least the Hong Kong Film Archive has a whole day marathon - which would be awesome if I didn't have to work. It's screening some of his early work, as in when he 10 years old kind of early. Anyway, I thought they found an actor who at least resembled Mr. Lee the Elder, no easy task, for the movie.The bus adverts have a better profile than the movie poster pictured above. For some reason I thought they had 'scored' a TVB actor. Common sense should have told me this was impossible, for any number of reasons. Poked around a bit and basically was shocked and awed to find out the skinny, sensitive Aarif Lee, who is the type of guy my mom (or I) would want me to bring home if he was 7 years older, will be playing the Bruce Man. Yeah, I admit it, it's the abs. Watch the trailer below, and someone's been working out. And I'm not that, that shallow. MC Jin's in it, an old favorite, and it doesn't look ridiculous.