1.06.2010

Adieu, 'Spooks', for now.



Alas, my Spooks run must be put on indefinite hold as I am out of access. Where are you, series 5 and 6?! I just finished series 4, in which Adam was pelted with a bullet by a lunatic sharpshooter and rogue agent. Unlike Lucas North who, in series 7, managed to ferry Ros and traitor Connie through London's underground after being hit, poor Adam is left gurgling blood whilst Harry looks to be the next target. Even though word is that the next two series played more like the Adam Show - not that I particularly object to excessive displays of Rupert Penry-Jones - a lot goes down in those forthcoming episodes, in the form of tech guy Colin, nice Ruth, and hottie Zaf. There is an attempted coup, more Adam going crazy, and the introduction of superwoman Ros Myers.

But, if it's RPJ we're looking for, I think I've just set myself up for an evening with Whitechapel, a surprise ITV hit from 2009. The show mashes together some contrasting police personalities in order to solve some Jack the Ripper copycat murders. Mr Penry-Jones does a natural turn as the posh, media-savvy detective inspector who thinks the department foot soldiers could do better with a tie and some deodorant. Phil Davies, who played his boss in the short-lived lawyer drama North Square, prefers the gruff and scrubby way of solving murders and that sort of thing. Whitechapel's been commissioned for a second series, so I'm looking forward to playing catchup.