3.09.2010

'Ip Man 2' and throwback Donnie Yen interview.

You might notice that I haven't posted much on Donnie Yen in the last couple weeks. Okay, I haven't posted much at all, though that has affected nary an amoeba in the universe. One reason is that I gave up movies. I'd like to say I did it for God and will be abstaining throughout Lent, but alas, that would be a lie. Truth is, the overdue thesis has taken priority and I banned myself from all movies and movie-like entertainment until the thing is lock-boxed in some oral defense purgatory. Therefore I can't really go on about Mismatched Couples or Bodyguards and Assassins because I still haven't properly seen either. (The other reason is that my small head only has room for one massive obsession at a time, and at the moment Soler is clearly filling the void between my ears. In a bit of a coup though, Donnie Yen directed Soler's MV for his movie Dragon Tiger Gate. Oh, how the gods conspire!)

But I think it's about time to re-enter Donnie territory as news regarding Ip Man 2 is coming fast. With an April 29 release date, the coming month and a half should be filled with Donnie wing-chun-ass-kicking goodness. The folks at Sina have a brief set of photos with the Ip Man looking serene - and talking about all manners of loving his wife. If you want to see the less domesticated side of him, however, there is a long interview from before I knew he existed, which would be ~11 years ago. It's a bit dated but there's still a lot of juice - Donnie cries at movies. Donnie is a shoddy actor. Donnie likes Armageddon. Whoa - wait a minute. Let's hope he and wife Cici aren't partial to animal crackers. Anyway, good read.........And now the last page of the thesis!