4.15.2010

Ab-solutely fabulous!

So it's been about a month since I posted. Blame that on my inability to close my old internet account and sign up for a new one. Also, I'm in the process of jumping ship over to Wordpress but as with everything in my life, the task will only get accomplished after much procrastinating. The good news is that I submitted my thesis. The better news is that I'm still in love with this:


The even better news is that I have also acquired another obsession in the form of this:


Now, before we crap ourselves because I just posted a picture of Vanness Wu, consistently my least favorite member of F4 (well, I didn't realize he looked like that), the qualifier comes in the form of a hit Taiwanese drama, 下一站,辛福 (Autumn's Concerto or Next Stop, Happiness) starring him and Ady An. 'Hit' is kind of an understatement; it killed the ratings and surpassed even mega-hit The Prince Turns into a Frog which previously knocked out Meteor Garden, which incidentally launched Vanness's hitherto questionable career. Being no fan of this transplanted American, I approached the show with a healthy dose of skepticism - and was subsequently blown away. I'll save the gushing for a post not written at 3a, but let's just say Mr. Wu, and really the entire cast and crew, impressed me like none other in film or television recently. It had all the ingredients for a disaster in my Asian drama recipe book - unusually attractive, and tall, idols; orphans; single mothers, bitchy mothers; kidnapping; brain tumors; amnesia; and bloody Vanness Wu. Yet somehow, it held itself together and even managed to push forward an actual message about the nature of love, one that overcame the contrived trappings of the genre and managed an affecting honesty. Expect plenty more obsessive posts, and hopefully a review, in the near future. In the meantime, the closing credits song sung by Della and Emil Chow, still sporting a mullet after all these years. I found a series preview but it wouldn't allow embedding. In any case, this song is a treat!